The cart is empty

Information Guide

FAQs: Sell your motor

Why sell on MotorBreaker.co.uk?

  • It's a comparison website.
  • We offer you a FREE quotation service to help you sell or scrap your vehicle quickly and easily.
  • We don't offer cash for motors but we can advertise your vehicle on our website and provide you access to a global network of potential customers that may be interested.
  • You can list your vehicle for FREE with no hidden fees or commissions.
  • We offer a 6-week advertising window, as this is the general time-frame for a car to sell.

What type of motor vehicle can I sell?
Any car, van or truck. This includes damaged vehicles, including those which are non-functional, vintage cars, vehicles that are currently financed, write-offs, imported vehicles and those with or without MOT or TAX. In short – everything and anything!

What do the technical damage description abbreviations refer to when selling Salvage motors?
Before you sell a Salvage motor make sure you are aware of the technical damage description abbreviations to be used as follows:

N/S Near-side (which means the passenger’s side of the vehicle)
N/S/F Near-side front
N/S/R Near-side rear
O/S Off-side (which means the driver’s side of the vehicle)
O/S/F Off-side front
O/S/R Off-side rear

How much does it cost to get offers?
It is completely FREE.

Can I set up a minimum price for my Salvage motor?
Yes, when advertising a Salvage Motor you may wish to set up a ‘Minimum offer’. If a ‘Minimum offer’ is set, this will become your ‘Current offer’ and potential buyers will not be able to submit bids lower than this amount.

Note, once your advert has been submitted, you will not be able to edit it. Therefore, please ensure that all correct, accurate, and complete information is in place before you submit your advert.

How long will it take to receive offers?
You should start receiving your offers shortly after the advert has become live.

How much does it cost to place an advert?
It's FREE with no hidden fees or commissions. You can also choose one of our featured adverts for an extra fee. Please note that for trade sellers differing charges may apply based on your account type.

Can I edit an advert after it's been placed?
No, you cannot edit an advert after it has been placed. Please ensure that all correct, accurate, and complete information is in place before you submit your advert.

What if the car isn't registered in the UK?
You have to notify the governing body of the country where the vehicle is registered and advise that you are disposing of the vehicle in the UK. You may also have to send the equivalent of the registration document and in some cases, the vehicle's number plates. Also a C.O.D. (Certificate of Destruction) which must be provided by a member (Buyer) of MotorBreaker.co.uk network.

I want to keep my personalised registration number. What should I do?
Transfer it to another vehicle or alternatively, you can place on retention with a V314 form obtainable from the DVLA. You need to do this before selling your car.

How will I receive payment?
We recommend that you should receive cleared funds and suggest bankers draft or transfer. Our dealers will expect to offer you this service. However, it is always worth clarifying so all parties are clear about what is required.

Can I be paid in cash when scrapping a vehicle?
Only in Scotland and Northern Ireland if required. Recent legislation (1st October 2013) made it illegal in England and Wales.

What do I need to know about the legal requirements to sell my car? What do I need?
The vehicle's V5 registration document (logbook) is issued by the DVLA and confirms that you are the registered owner. If you lose it you can apply for a V62 from the post office or online. There is an express service option from DVLA if necessary

  • Service history and checks/receipts are good to have
  • MOT certificate and previous certificates will confirm mileage (only where applicable)
  • The vehicle's manuals, key code and locking wheel nut (if relevant)
  • Any spare keys
  • If the car has finance, you need to contact the finance company. The buyer can arrange a final settlement and then deduct from final selling price

What happens to a V5 when I sell my vehicle as salvage?
You MUST write a receipt confirming the agreed transaction:

  • The date and clarification that your motor vehicle is going to be sold for re-use. It is worth understanding the different clarifications for salvage motors, i.e Category A, B, S, N, U or X. For more information continue reading here
  • The price at which the vehicle was sold
  • Make, model and registration number
  • The names and addresses of the buyer and seller. Also make sure you have two copies of this document, so both you and buyer have the same agreement. Also both parties must sign and date
  • Complete the logbook/V5 form correctly! This can protect your interests if the buyer receives fines after the sale and when using your vehicle. Tell DVLA that you've sold a vehicle. For more information continue reading here
  • Once everything is agreed, give the buyer the handbook, service log, MOT certification (if more than three years old), car's warranty (if applicable) and copy of the V5 form
  • Advise your insurance company of the deal
  • If selling to somebody abroad, the same process applies and perhaps you should scan the signed receipt to them (via email) and ask them to sign and return to you. We would also recommend taking a copy of the V5 form with sections 6/8/10. A buyer needs an original signed V5 form to register the motor in their country

What do I do with the logbook/V5 registration document when I sell my motor as scrap?

  • You must sell your vehicle legally
  • NEVER sell to anybody who only advises a mobile number, from the internet, or who does not have legitimate premises
  • Check they are licensed by visiting the Environmental Agency website. Also ensure they have the following credentials: Waste Management License or Environmental Permit as an Authorised Treatment Facility. If they are unable to confirm these licences – DO NOT USE THEM FOR ANY TRANSACTION
  • As a precaution – we also recommend that whoever you use, it is worth noting the registration of the truck collecting the vehicle

Once agreed with a reputable buyer, ensure the following list is compiled:

  • Date of the agreement and that the vehicle is going to be scrapped in accordance with legislation.
  • Price, make and model of the vehicle and registration number.
  • Details of the buyer and seller.
  • Makes two copies and ensure the buyer also signs this document and uses their company stamp. Give them one copy.


  • Ensure it is completed correctly and never hand over the complete form.
  • Tear off the 'yellow' section 9 (V5C/3) (Selling or transferring your vehicle to a motor trader, insurer or dismantler) and complete with the buyer's details.
  • Send this section to the DVLA.
  • The buyer has the rest of the V5 registration document.

For more information continue reading here.

When scrapping your vehicle, you must receive a C.O.D. (Certificate of Destruction) within 7-14 days of your vehicle being collected. After this time, if not received, contact the buyer or if this is not successful – YOU MUST contact the DVLA and Environmental Agency.
It is your legal responsibility to notify the DVLA when you are not the legal owner. Remember, the liability is yours until you receive notification from the DVLA that you are not the owner.

For more information continue reading here.

What is a Waste Carriers License?
A Waste Carriers License is a license from the Environmental Agency. Anyone who carries waste for business purposes has to (as a legal requirement) have a Waste Carriers License.

What is a Certificate of Destruction (COD)?
C.O.D = Certificate of Destruction. Only an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) can provide this documentation. Authorised Treatment Facilities (ATF) are licensed sites which have been authorised by the Environment Agency in England & Wales, (SEPA) Scottish Environment Protection Agency or (NIEA) Northern Ireland Environment Agency. You should receive a C.O.D. if your vehicle will be scrapped in accordance with current legislation.

What is an ELV?
ELVs = 'End of Life Vehicles' - motor vehicles that are categorised as waste, reached the end of their life technically and economically.

How I can check whether a vehicle dismantler or scrap yard is properly licensed?

  • Please see the following links through to the 'public register' section of the c website. It is recommended to double-check the authenticity of the company and whether they have the appropriate licences.
  • The Environment Agency is the Government Department responsible for regulating our industry in England (in Scotland it is SEPA, in Wales it is now Natural Resources Wales).
  • For 'End of Life' vehicles – for more information continue reading here.
  • Please note that lists are always being updated. Also licences may be noted in the owner's name and at the registered office rather than the business address. If in doubt – contact the Environment Agency.

I was very happy with the website service, how do I recommend a friend?
Simply tell your friend about us, or join us on Facebook.